Tower Hamlets Wheelers AGM April 2016
Tower Hamlets Wheelers Monthly Meeting and AGM Thursday 21/04/16
Attendees: Terry Paterson, Julie Plichon, Richard Paterson, Keith Jones, Dave Allison, David Tuckwell (Chair), Alex Waring, Owen Pearson, Tomomi Guillochon, Gerry Matthews, Mark Peters, Helen Ashcroft, Christie Troy, Caroline Fenton (minutes)
1. Adoption of new constitution
Agreed in principle to adopt new LCC standard but with amendments proposed by Caroline and circulated before the meeting, also with change of wording to allow non TH residents to be a member of the group if they affiliate (point to be raised with LCC office). Put to vote – 10 in favour, 2 abstentions. Action CF to amend and send to LCC for agreement.
Summary for year presented by Dave Allison. Funds are enough to cover current level of activity for another 1-2 years so agreed to not take LCC grant this year.
3. Year reviews
3.1 Campaigns (Terry)
3.1.1 LCC campaigns
No To Silvertown Tunnel (supported by LCC)
20 is Plenty (supported by LCC)
Mayoral Election- Sign for Cycling
End Lorry Danger
3.1.2 Local campaigns
Access to Limehouse Basin
Branch Rd Green Space
New Cycling Strategy
Cable St -campaign to respond to consultation
Questions to the TH mayoral candidates
Cycling and the media
Engaging members and activists
External and letters-eg police, councillors, candidates for Mayor
Stakeholder meetings,- council, police, No to Silvertown Tunnel, 20 Is Plenty conference
Putting up posters in shops, cafes, market- Cable St, Sign for Cycling
Giving out leaflets- Cable St, Sign For Cycling
Posting to Twitter,
Emailing members - reminders, events, consultations
Regularly reporting back to meetings, LCC office
Following up on identified actions, communicating with committee email
Writing articles for newsletter.
3.2 Events (Keith)
Only 3 events last year, new list for 2016 to be circulated soon.
3.3 Workshop (Keith)
Need to do a COSSH assessment for things used (eg chain oil) – action KJ
Improved storage needed for tools etc – look at utilising the downstairs cupboard properly – action KJ/OP
Risk assessment needed – action KJ
Suggestion to involve Poplar Pedallers – group have had maintenance training, so they could be offered experience.
Reminder to group that Christiania and trailer are available for use.
3.4 Communications (Helen)
Borough inserts were all done on time (congratulation and thanks recorded for this)
Suggestion to get someone else trained on Engaging Networks as a back up to Helen
Cable Street e-mail received very high level of engagement.
3.5 Engineering/infrastructure (Gerry)
Lots of activity for the year:
CS2 upgrade – full completion opening date not yet known, or what LCC central position will be. IRG on 28/04/16 will be discussing it, suggest bullet points from meeting sent to TH supporters to ask for further feedback/possible engagement Action – Gerry
Quietways (QW) – no significant progress in TH due to disagreements on alignment, expected out to consultation in July.
Possible future work on Safe routes to schools in Stepney area
Mini-Holland proposal for “Sign for Cycling” campaign – suggest holding a separate meeting to discuss
Gerry has attended some “Cycling at Teatime” sessions – these are recommended
Several members of THW have attended CLOS (Cycling Level of Service) training sessions
Gerry would like to propose the appointment of an Active Travel Commissioner in the next mayoral term instead of a Cycling Commissioner (what do we need to do about this?)
4 Election of officers and management committee
Co-ordinator – no nominations received in advance or at the meeting
Secretary - no nominations received in advance or at the meeting
Treasurer – Owen offered to stand for this position, agreed unanimously
This situation means that technically THW can no longer be a constituent borough group of LCC as it does not have 2 of the 3 officers in place. However this had been anticipated and discussed with LCC staff members in advance, and for the short term the group can carry on, and try to fill the posts. Longer term (say 6 months) the group would have to cease being a borough group and instead nominate just a borough representative.
Actions to take – advise LCC officially (Owen/Terry), make a public notification to supporters etc to say we need new people. Regarding the bank account – Owen to ask LCC if they are happy with the Treasurer managing the bank account, and potentially leaving Dave as a signatory even though he isn’t on h committee, or whether a staff member needs to become a signatory.
Next meeting – get copy of borough group handbook Action - Terry
Other posts on management committee –no new people expressed an interest in advance or at the meeting. Therefore in view of the forgoing we did not think it was appropriate to go through with elections, but asked those currently holding posts if they were willing to carry on for now until situation resolved. Terry stood down from Campaigns, Helen will continue with Communications for up to 6 months, Gerry/Keith/David will carry on for now
4. Meeting with LBTH council staff 20/04/16
Attended by Gerry and Owen. Discussed Cable St, Manchester Road cycle tracks, Chrisp St/Quietways etc.
Update on 20mph – 54 locations monitored before and after, average speed reduction was achieved with virtually no enforcement. Goes to cabinet in Oct to decide whether to make permanent.
5. Sign for Cycling Update (Terry)
Terry has materials and will co-ordinate local activity on general mailing list
Post meeting note – various leafletting activities undertaken around the borough.
6. Cable Street Update (Gerry)
Darft report on consultation has gone to the Mayor of TH.
7. Government walking and cycling strategy (Terry)
Consultation ends 23/05/16 – discuss at next monthly meeting
8.1 Renewing/expanding supporter list (was raised during year reviews but strictly an AOB item)
Agreed that we should try to renew the supporter list as it is quite old. Also need to expand it using contacts made at events and also workshop. Need to check carefully our workshop sign in sheet wording to make sure it is compliant and will enable us to contact people. Action – David T/Helen/Keith to look at this. Owen to check wording on Cable Street response form and if OK get names from that to add to database.