Tower Hamlets Wheelers meeting minutes March 2015
Present - David Tuckwell, Caroline Fenton, Olawale Ajibola, Gerry Matthews, Terry Patterson, Helen Ashcroft
Apologies - Dave Allison, Mr Jones, Owen Pearson
1. Workshop 21/03/15 - Owen will be around to open/close hall, Keith available to help, no specific actions required to get extra helpers.
2. Scrutiny feedback – Terry gave feedback on the session. Tom B posted something - Terry to find it and send link but theme of Tom’s contribution was "Just do it" - it's a mini Holland. In general there was no time for major issues such as “how much do you spend on cycling?” (available figures don't tell you). Presentations (Hackney, Sustrans, police etc) took time - so were not able to give much input. Not many councillors there. Not considered to be a rigorous scrutiny. Gerry has asked for copies of presentations. However Owen and Gerry had a useful discussion with John Pierce (chair of scrutiny panel) outside meeting about how to make progress – he may be a useful contact in future.
No formal response from THW yet following scrutiny – Action: Terry to write
FORS - need to ask council again to align with this (Safer lorries campaign) – Action: Terry.
Living streets - Gerry discussed with Rosie Downes (LCC), need to talk to LS about joint action (send to Patti Singleton/Jack Skillen) cc Bruce McVean. Action: David T.
Feedback that some people in council were pleased to make contact with group - suggest we send an intro letter to all council departments. Aim at level below service head – Action: Terry to draft and circulate for comment/checking.
3. Newsletter - thanks to Helen for getting this out. Suggestion that we also need A5 format for handout/dispensers in cafes etc as this works better than the current A4 layout. Looks like we can do newsletters quarterly, or more often if needed. Target date for next one – 21/04/15, material by 14/04/15. Action: Helen to make specific requests of people (agree subject matter) and then chase them, everyone else to produce the articles they commit to!
Reminder Superhighways - E-W consultation closes 28/03/15.
Cable St/Horseferry Rd – Gerry sent responses but CS3 needs full review This should take into account borough documents that already exists (eg “Vision for cycling”) and should be done jointly with Newham/Barking & Dagenham.
Quietways - no further update from Borough. Aldgate to Hainault due delivery April 2016. Issue is that we think back streets = rat running without filtering. Action: Gerry to ask council whether there is money for filtering, check timescale.
Bow interchange interim – consultation closes 01/04/15. Road show 11am -3pm St Mary's Sat 14/03/15. Actions: Gerry to contact local councillors, suggest 11am meeting. Caroline to write to mail group and put on website.
Twenty is plenty/20mph - expected date for implementation 01/04/15? Action: Terry to write to Margaret cc Elise Boon to ask whether this is now confirmed.
Periodic meeting with Margaret Cooper et al – Action: Terry to sort date with Tom Rawlings (try for a Friday)
Various discussions will be published on “Cyclescape” - Rosie from LCC is doing this.
5. AGM preparation – suggest move to Thurs 16/04/15 or Tues 14/04/15. Actions: Caroline to book room, invite Matthew/Juwel from LCC to present about membership etc
Catering – we will provide tea and biscuits, we can sort this out between us by e-mail nearer the time, do we need a projector/screen?
Suggested we also hold a special meeting for current committee/activists (not publicly advertised) beforehand, possibly Weds 01/04/15. Action: Caroline to book room and circulate notice
6. Events – a quick brainstorming of events etc we are aware of and/or have participated in previously:
Friends of Mile End Park, St Barnabas fete (but not sure this is happening now), Cemetery Park, Limehouse (tour de), London Yard residents day, Arnold Circus, Cycle to school week, European Mobility week, Trees for Cities in KEMP, Millwall park, also some “event style” rides (Children, Glamour, Feeder ride to Solstice)
NB Need membership packs etc to use at these events.
Actions: All to bring suggestions for next meeting. Caroline to send something to main list to see if other suggestions are forthcoming. Committee to choose which events to support.