Monthly Meeting July 2015
Tower Hamlets Wheelers meeting 08/07/15
Present: Owen, Caroline, Julie, Mr Jones, Rob, Dave, David, Olawale, Terry, Richard, Helen, Mark
Apologies: Alex, Gerry
1. Election of new treasurer – propose to hold EGM in Sept and notify membership in advance. Note this is not covered in Wheelers’ current constitution or in the new LCC model constitution.
Action: Caroline to add to LCC calendar, notify e-groups and also raise point with LCC.
2. Workshop July 18th – spares OK, Keith not available, Owen, Caroline, Dave available. Large turnout expected after telling people at Limefest. Note that October clashes with LCC AGM, suggest move one week forward (Owen to check)
3. Community events – Arnold Circus cancelled. Nothing else planned. KJ doing estate workshop (Bancroft) 25/07/15 12-5– although not official THW event, helpers welcome. Suggestions from David for an event checklist/suggestions (eg list of leaflets, what we actually use, info sheet, stickers to put on things, something for people to sign up for LCC e-mails etc, put stuff in packs ready to hand out)
Action: Rob to make info sheet, David to circulate checklist if possible please
4. ELA article re CS2 works
Action: Terry to write a response and circulate to committee, if no (adverse) comments received to send to ELA (post meeting note – done)
5. Limehouse basin path closure. Closure is night time only but could lead to longer closures of gates put in place. Decided to raise objection.
Action: David/Terry to write something and circulate, then send to planning department
6. Local Borough Groups Forum 16th July.
Action: Terry and Owen to attend
7. 20mph limit. Response received by Terry eventually (after 4 months) to letter asking what would be done about enforcement. Feedback from LBTH meeting – will be an awareness campaign. Next summer will do review and accident stats etc.
Action: Terry to continue to follow up with police, anyone who can to attend local SNT meetings to raise topic (list of dates/locations to be circulated/put on website)
8. Mayoral election – good campaign with responses from most candidates.
Action: Terry to reply to Peter Golds’ question re training (Post meeting note – done)
9. Cable Street – council want support from us regarding proposals. Agreed to support in principle.
Action: Owen to send around proposals, also write official Wheelers’ response
10. LBTH meeting – next one is 15th July. Owen/Gerry to attend. Feedback from previous meeting:
• TfL money available for mitigating measures for banned turns. Margaret Cooper suggested some ward asks that originally could not be funded
• Owen to write to J Biggs to request meeting – discussion items - space for cycling petition, safer lorries pledge (needs re-wording subtly), cycle strategy draft version beginning of September, invitation to meet consultants early.
• Looking for a new “strapline” for cycling in the borough.
Action: ask Mayor whether he will have a specific councillor for cycling
11. Ride leader/marshal training – more training sessions available, note marshals still needed for Freecycle feeder ride
Action: Anyone who wants to do training to respond directly to LCC
12. Glamour ride – date to be decided
Action: Rob to suggest date(s) and co-ordinate responses
13. CLoS (Cycling Level of Service) session - attended by Wale, Gerry, David. Feedback that it was a very good session. Worth going through information with others, suggest extra meeting rather than taking a lot of time from monthly meeting.
Action: David/Gerry/Wale to suggest a date
Handbook for borough groups to be published
David had collected material from Hackney (leaflets, flyers etc)
Hackney Cycling conference – Wale has published link to all slides on Engineering List