Tower Hamlets Wheelers Meeting May 2016
TOWER HAMLETS WHEELERS Monthly Meeting Minutes Wednesday, 11 May 2016 7.30pm Held at The Cabin, St Margaret's House, 21 Old Ford Road. PRESENT: Owen, Terry, Olawale, Christy, Gerry, Helen, Keith APOLOGIES: Julie, David T CHAIR: Owen MINUTES: Owen 1. Workshop Next one on 21 May. Owen and Keith to sort out. 2. Towpath diversion via Wennington Green Towpath closure Regents canal-Hertford Union canal for next 12 months. Current sign-posted alternative route conflicts with HGV movements and includes steps. Trying to get hold of their risk assessment. We would propose the route to go via Wennington Green-Bunsen Street-Chisenhale Road-Old Ford Road. ACTION Gerry to continue lobbying. 3. Cycle parking planning standards Cycle parking issues at Lidl have been raised again. Possible borough-wide campaign to highlight all lack of parking where should have been installed as part of planning permission. Involve councillors. ACTION Needs someone to lead... 4. National Women and Cycling Conference Terry attended this conference on 25 April in Hereford. ACTION Terry will produce a conference report to publish on the website. Meeting discussion also raised issues about size of hire bikes. Proposal to carry out gender cycle counts - e.g. compare CS3, CS2, Hackney Road. ACTION Needs someone to lead... 5. Greenwich foot tunnel shared use Awareness campaign will be run leading up to the foot tunnels becoming shared use (cycling will be allowed when a new byelaw is passed). A system has been installed in the tunnel that displays when cycling is permitted. We have been asked if we will distribute information about the changes. ACTION Owen to get the campaign info and distribute. 6. Borough Newsletter insert LCC deadline is Monday, 23 May, Helen's deadline is Friday, 20 May. Owen will do a call for volunteers etc. ACTION Helen compiling and formatting. 7. Volunteer Involvement Event With regard to committee post vacancies it is felt some sort of recruitment event is needed. Accepted coordinator post maybe difficult to fill by someone completely new to volunteering but main thing will be to increase core activitists and helpers. - Show how group is setup and run. Tasks required to be carried out, responsibilities, how these can be allocated to committee roles. - Organise an activity to continue where ward asks left off, collate unused asks, piece together to form more of a vision Aim to hold in September, perhaps on a Saturday. 8. Events Sat 28 May - Dr Bike, Limehouse Marina Market 12-5 Sat 4 June - Dr Bike, Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park 12-5 Tue 14 June - Bike Breakfast, St James's Garden 7.30-9.30 Wed 15 June - Evening ride, Take flight with Wheelers 6.30-9.30 Sun 3 July - Dr Bike, Limefest, Ropemakers Gardens Sat 30 July - Ride London Sat 1 Oct - Dr Bike, Boundary Estate Fun Palace 10-7 3 July clash with Friends of Mile End Park fete. Thoughts were that we would like to attend it as well as Limefest depending getting enough volunteers. 9. Superhighway audits CS2 audit: Involve users to provide feedback. Use a map for users to drop a pin and enter their comment? Owen to investigate, otherwise simply web form. CS3 audit: North-south connectivity at Tower Hill a major issue.