Tower Hamlets Wheelers Monthly Meeting February 2016
Wheelers meeting 10/02/16
Attendees – Owen, David T, Christy, Helen, Caroline, Caspar, Gerry, Olawale
Apologies – Dave A, Terry, Keith, Julie
1. Borough Group Forum – Owen and Terry will go on 25/02
2. Cable Street - quick summary in the minutes only as since the meeting lots has happened!
• Now out for consultation
• Wheelers will leaflet on cycle track, plus post details on e-groups/social media for cyclists, resident interaction being done by council.
• Caspar concerned at reduced protection for cyclists, because of removed segregation in one direction – won’t be suitable for children
• Is it possible to remove buses? Suggest study of bus traffic. Can we get stats for bus accidents on Cable St – Caspar
• Wheelers view is that current situation not tenable for commuting traffic due to overload
• Need to get individual responses as well as Wheelers official one. Set up response mechanism on website OP to action
• Leafletting draft by Gerry, ideally for extra meeting on Tues 16th.
• How to do official THW response? Try collecting responses and comments on Cyclescape,
• Finalise at March meeting.
• Cllr Chesterton has made a comment about Wapping becoming isolated – thought to relate to possible inconvenience for delivery vans
• Can we have a different response address not cycling@ (to show it’s not just a cycling scheme, also is closing date still correct given delayed start of consultation? OP to query with council. Post meeting note – not possible in timescale to get a different generic (rather than personal) address, also closing date still correct.
3. Sign for Cycling campaign for Mayoral Election
• Terry to lead.
• Question re which area in TH to nominate for “Mini Holland” Gerry suggesting Isle of Dogs. Transfer discussion of this topic to Cyclescape, also special meeting set for Tues 16th, 7pm Town Hall.
• What do we need to do to help LCC central with the campaign? Terry to find out?
4. Commercial Road consultation
• Very little for cycling in the proposals
• Raise on Tuesday 16th
5. Borough Group news
• Terry has written an article about being a trustee, also short piece on Limehouse land win. New photo needed, also need info on Cable Street.
6. Meeting with LBTH council – will be on 24/02/16, Gerry and Owen to attend plus any other committee member who is interested.
7. Tower Hamlets Cemetery Event on Sat 27th
• Volunteers needed to staff a stall, basic Dr Bike etc ask Keith to send something out.
• As we don’t have much of a ride programme currently, Olawale to get details of all Newham rides sent to us.
9. Name change – suitable domain names are available OP has checked.
10. AOB – none raised