Tower Hamlets Wheelers Meeting January 2011
TOWER HAMLETS WHEELERS Monthly Meeting Minutes Wednesday, 12 January 2011 7.30pm Held at St Margaret's House, 21 Old Ford Road. PRESENT: Rob (Co-ordinator), Dave A (Treasurer), Owen (Secretary), David T (Chair), Caroline (Rides), Keith (Events) Richard, Terry, Aneeta, Bob, Ian, Steve APOLOGIES: Gerry (Special Projects), Steve CHAIR: David T MINUTES: Owen 1. Rides Ride programme ready into March. Details on new website (soon to be launched). Caroline proposes helping out the Frank Haines Memorial Trust by providing a Wheelers ride as a basis for their annual sponsored ride. The Trust raises money for Tower Hamlets youth projects. Agreed this would be a good event to follow up. ACTION: Caroline to talk further with FHM Trust. 2. Victoria Park meeting Owen summarised the cycle XXX at the latest Victoria Park Friends Group meeting. .... Park has 4mph speed limit bye-law. Council will be revising bye-laws to set a 10-12mph speed limit for cyclists and motor vehicle limit to stay at 4mph. Awareness events Cycle parking 3. Workshop Immediate training sessions underway. Bob reports that still not very hands-on and subjects not too technical. Keith said Gail reported that it was a good session so obviously varying expectations. Those at the meeting still to attend their session request that hands-on teaching takes place. Keith agrees to report to Bikeworks that more hands-on needed! ACTION: Keith to liaise with Bikeworks. Workshop dates - with other events, looks best to move some workshop dates away from last Saturday of the month. ACTION: Caroline & Owen to select dates and publicise for discussion. 4. New Year Social All set for Vesuvio's on 19 January. ACTION: Owen to send out one 5. Movers & Shakers Rob reports that still waiting feedback from LBTH... ACTION: Rob to keep plugging away. Richard recounts contacting John Biggs (City & East) about meeting and discussing local cycling issues. John keen to come along. End of Feburary date to be suggested. Rob, Caroline, Dave will attend as well. Richard has also spoken Jim Fitzpatrick. Keen to assist where he can on issues that we raise. ACTION: Richard to organise meeting. 6. LCC recruitment LCC have requested a named "recruitment champion" for each borough group for them to liaise with on membership. Rob volunteers as ties in with all the other paperwork and stuff he already has. ACTION: Rob to let LCC know. . Networking with local cycle projects/groups Bumbling discussion. ... . Finance Dave reports signatories change in process. . Newsletter Deadline Monday 24 January. Rob to send out what he has already and what he needs. ACTION: Rob to get it together. . AOB Shadwell (King Edward Memorial) Park Issue of Thames Water taking over the park for works for new sewer. Obviously will mean loss of cycle route. Caroline urges all to sign petition www.savekemp.com Workshop Assessment Keith attended presentation by Cycle Systems at cycle industry funding event. Wonders whether we should look at having our workshop assessed for some sort of certification. Keith will investigate further to see if any benefit. Queen Mary College cycling issues Bob reports formation of an informal cycling group at QMC. - abandoned bikes around the campus. Suggest to contact Bikeworks and/or Druid Cycles. - Bike Week event at QMC: evening ride, Dr Bike. All agreed would be good to - Advice for increasing cycling at the university Keith asks if we could get a stall at the next Freshers fair. Connect 2 Project Ian reports next meeting for this project on 24 January. Would be good to have a Wheelers rep there. Bethnal Green Gate Ian reports - concerns disused toilet block at corner of park near Bethnal Green tube. Feasibility study has taken place. Meeting on 26 January to discuss. Will be pushing to open up the consultation ..... Issues are cycle parking and the use of this building. Canary Riverside Dave & Caroline report on current status. JP Morgan not going to use the site now. Time to start pressure for reinstating riverside route. Agree to start contacting MPs, councillors, John Biggs, JP Morgan. Thoughts about morning petition/awareness events. ACTION: Dave to set in motion. Guest speakers Potential speakers at future meetings to be discussed at next meeting. Also thoughts on AGM. Bike Show At Excel Centre 13-16 January. Meeting ended at 9.12pm.