Tower Hamlets Wheelers meeting minutes May 2015
Attendees: Owen, David, Keith, Terry, Caroline, Olawale
Apologies: Helen, Christy, Dave, Alex, Richard, Gerry
1. LCC Policy
We decided that we would accept the current policies although some concerns about not all being ratified by an AGM. Going forward feel that any binding policy should be ratified by AGM or if necessary EGM, or minimum by borough coordinators. Owen to write to confirm. It was noted that an objection to accepting the policies was received from Gerry based on her experience of trying to apply them to recent consultations. However the overall committee view was that we should accept, also those who had attended the Borough Group forum reported that the difficulty of applying the policies totally in certain local situations had been raised and that some discretion was expected.
2. Governance Some discussion occurred related to the papers tabled by LCC - Groups 1-3 and Policy 1-3 We noted several comments to send to LCC on areas that we did not agree with or felt needed clarification – mail sent by Owen (details included below).
3. Mayoral elections Plans progressing well, questions decided and to be sent out by Alex.
4. Communications Decision to make minor amendments only to e-newsletter to reflect mayoral election activity, and then get it sent out.
Text from mail to LCC regarding policy compliance and governance:
LCC Policy adoption
I can confirm Tower Hamlets Wheelers formally adopt the existing live LCC policy positions.
However, for future board policy that is proposed to become binding, we would want to see an improved democratic process take place e.g. via an EGM or borough group vote. We would therefore like to see an amendment to the first sentence of clause 33.3. We would then adopt any binding policy that has been ratified via such a process.
We believe all borough groups should have the same constitution. We struggle to see the necessity for local amendments that will only quickly complicate matters again. A well-defined borough group constitution should cover all.
GR2015Groups3-CONSULTATION on Proposed Model Constitution for LCC Groups.docx
Who Are We
3. Because of our view of on Policy adoption we would wish this clause to be amended to be in-line with Board policy only becoming binding after further membership involvement.
Meetings of the Group
22. Although we agree 4 weeks' notice would be good practice we would prefer some discretion available if date changes are needed.
24. Clarification required that posting the meeting on the LCC website constitutes giving notice to "all members".
28. Inconsistent use of Chair instead of Co-ordinator. But actually we would suggest that any two out of the three Officers should be allowed to approve +£50 expenditure.
31. Yes, definition of this is difficult! Clarification needed whether someone can be a member, and indeed an officer, of more than one borough group. This gets more complicated when thinking about the proposed introduction of other "networks and local committees" as local groups.
Changes to this Constitution
Because of our stance on all borough groups having the same constitution we would amend this section to simply be that changes should be ratified at the LCC AGM only.
GR2015Groups2-CONSULTATION on Proposed Changes to the LCC Articles (Groups).docx
Further clarification needed about the proposal to have other "networks and local committees" as local groups. Presumably they would just need a minimum of three LCC members to be eligible. Also potentially introduces confusion with local council over which group should be assigned stakeholder status.