Tower Hamlets Wheelers Monthly Meeting March 2016
LCC – Tower Hamlets Wheelers meeting 09/03/16
Attendees – Owen, Terry, David T, Kate, Julie, Richard, Keith, Helen, Gerry, Caroline
Apologies – Dave A, Richard P
1. Introductions – Kate (currently volunteering at LCC central) and Richard (from Newham) were welcomed to the meeting
2. Matters arising from last meeting minutes – we did not attend THCP event in Feb, but will plan to attend next one in June
3. Commercial Road (A13) consultation – scheme includes some but not much work for cyclists. Our official response should ask for cycle tracks (instead of using space for median between motor traffic), also reduced speed limit (currently 30mph). ACTION – Owen to respond on behalf of group.
4. Sign for Cycling campaign – now launched. New feature is app to collect signatures. ACTIONS – Terry to post on TH e-mail group, David T to head up distributing materials to bike shops, cafes etc in borough (he will coordinate with others who are interested to plan group activity). Terry to coordinate leafletting (eg Greenwich foot tunnel with Caroline)
5. Increasing membership initiative – Terry asked whether TH were prepared to be one of 2 or 3 pilot groups for this, and this was agreed. Issue raised about “opting in” to communications eg using workshop sign in sheet – may need rewording. ACTIONS - Terry/Helen to check out what we need to do, David T to revise sheet if necessary.
Initiative really needs some future events to invite people to join ACTION - David T volunteered to lead one ride per month (so we have meeting + workshop + ride as our monthly offer as minimum).
Julie offered to help from April onwards. Suggestion of possibly using an LCC central volunteer to assist. ACTION - Terry to investigate membership report and find out whether it is public.
6. AGM arrangements and committee nominations – AGM booked for Thursday 14/04/16 and publicised on our website and LCC site. ACTIONS – Terry and Caroline to liaise re domestic matter and catering. Terry to chair as neither Owen nor David T available. Caroline and Helen to work on sending out an Engaging Networks notice – ideally on Monday.
Current committee members requested to indicate in advance whether they are happy to stand again.
7. Cable Street – Gerry outlined history of consultation to explain how we have ended up with one position from Wheelers and something a bit different from LCC central. ACTIONS – spread info on Wheelers website article and link for e-mailing, deadline is Monday. (maybe include on EN communication as per item 6). Gerry to arrange a leaflet to be printed for handing out on Monday. Someone (Helen/Owen?) to do a facebook post
8. Workshop – next one is 19/03/16. Owen not available, checking with Rob re opening up Town Hall.
“Fun Palace” – possible event in October at Boundary estate and also maybe at Limehouse, details passed to Keith.
Constitution from LCC – ACTION - Caroline to check full document before AGM and to recommend whether we adopt as is or with minor modifications.